Chicken, Veggies, and Rice Pilaf "Sealed" with a Hike to Red Rocks Reserve, New Zealand
After a 2 mile walk we spotted them. Health Tip - never attempt to take a selfie with a seal (first trauma case today at the hospital) and never stand between a seal and the ocean.
And then some portraits. I am not a good photographer, but this place makes it pretty easy to set up a shot.
Upon returning home, I created a simple one dish Chicken, Veggie, Rice Pilaf inspired by GastroSenses Recipe
- 5 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 small white onions (almost shallot size), diced
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 cups of rice (note, if using jasmine rice, use the 4 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of rice and simmer this 10min ahead of time to soften it a bit)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups frozen mixed veggies - carrots, corn, peas (split in 2)
- Grease a large oven proof casserole dish and heat the oven to 350 F degrees (173 C)
- Heat up 1/2 the olive oil in a pan
- Add chicken breast and brown on each side for 3 min
- Set chicken aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the same pan.
- Add crushed garlic and diced onion.
- When onion is translucent add 3 cups of frozen veggies and mix until defrosted
- Transfer veggies to baking dish, add chicken
- Cover with 4 cups of broth
- Add rice on top, submerging it, but not mixing it
- If using jasmine rice add the already halfway cooked broth and rice on top of chicken and veggie mixture.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 20-25 min.
- Once the chicken is cooked (no longer pink inside) shred it with a fork and mix it all together.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional defrosted veggies.