Blueberry Avocado Muffins with a Side of Spinach
Blueberry avocado muffins inspired by GimmeSomeOven
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, ( you change this to 1 cup of flour + 1 cup almond meal to add more protein and less carbs to the muffins)
- 2 tsp baking powder.
- 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt.
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded, peeled.
- 3/4 cup sugar (you can substitute coconut palm sugar for lower glycemic index and more antioxidants).
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries.
- 1 egg.
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt - blend handful of spinach into this using a blender. If not, then do muffins with a side of Juice Plus
- Heat oven to 375 F or 173 C
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- In a separate mixing bowl add avocado and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add egg and continue beating until completely combined.
- Add vanilla and yogurt OR spinach yogurt, beating until just combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture into the batter and fold it in. Then add the rest and fold.
- Gently fold in blueberries by hand.
- Spoon batter or use a cookie scoop into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for five minutes before serving.