Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
I am always on the lookout for great after school snacks, or lunch box additions. With the help of SpiceSpiceBaby, I have created a Roasted Red Pepper Hummus recipe that is a hit in my Household. I have tried many hummus recipes and they never seemed good enough. This one hit the mark and I am no longer buying Pre-made Hummus. Cooking time once you make the roasted peppers - 2 min tops.
SpiceSpiceBaby is a wonderful website about eating with spices. Kachan Koya has a Harvard PhD in Biomedicine and her passion is inspiring healthy living through spices. Her website and new Cookbook are filled with great information and inspiration for clean living starting from 6months old and on.
Dairy free, Gluten Free, + veggies, + protein, + healthy fats, + anti-inflammatory spices.
Paprika contains capsaicin which blocks inflammation in several ways. It inhibits the enzyme activyt of COX-2 and inactivats mitirc oxide synthesis and NF-Kappa. This may explain why people who ate spicy foods once a week showed 10-20% reduction in mortality risk.
Cumin suppresses the development of coughing in the respiratory system since it dries up the excess mucus. Cumin is rich in iron and has considerable amount of vitamin-C, which are essential for a healthy immune system and keeps infections from forming or becoming worse
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
- Half roasted red bell pepper (capsicum)
- 1-14oz (400 grams) can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 Tbsp tahini paste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 Tbsp cold water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 Tsp paprika
- 1/4 Tsp cumin
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375*F (180*C)
- Wash and cut bell pepper in half. Remove core and seeds
- Place pepper on grease cookie sheet face down
- Place in oven for 30 minutes
- Remove pepper from oven. Salt the outsite (this makes peeling much easier)
- Peel after letting peppers cool down for 10 min.
- Place all ingredients in blender
- Blend until smooth
- Adjust seasonings to taste
- Enjoy with veggies or crackers
- Save other half of red pepper because this recipe will be demanded in 4 days time.
Bon Apetite, Ana-Maria Temple, MD